How Brock Lesnar Became A Canadian Citizen & His History With Canada, Explained

Quick Links

Brock Lesnar is one of the most private individuals in the wrestling business, despite being tremendously popular among fans. It’s not often that Lesnar talks about his private life and shares tidbits with his fans. He once explained that he doesn't like to expose himself to the fans as he “just like[s] being old school and living in the woods and living [his] life.” One thing fans know about Lesnar is that he lives on his farm in Saskatchewan, Canada with his family. Some years ago, he even got Canadian citizenship and also represented his adopted country in UFC.

RELATED: 10 Things Fans Didn't Know About Brock Lesnar's Life Outside WWE

Why Did Brock Lesnar Settle In Canada?

In 2013, Brock Lesnar said that he wanted to become a Saskatchewan resident, and he was learning more about the province before making the move. Fans should know that Lesnar grew up on a farm, which he also credited for helping him develop his work ethic, and that he liked everything about Saskatchewan.

“I eventually want to become a Saskatchewan resident and ... I just want to learn a little more about the province. I grew up on a farm. I love the country. I like the wildlife. I like everything that Saskatchewan has to offer.” Some months later, Lesnar and his family relocated to Saskatchewan, though he had already been visiting there regularly according to the former Premier, Brad Wall.

Brock Lesnar Had Issues With Canadian Health Care

Even though Lesnar really loves Canada, he wasn’t shy of talking about his issues with its healthcare in 2010. In late 2009, Dana White booked his UFC Title defense against Shane Carwin but while Lesnar was training for this fight, he got pretty sick. He had to postpone his fight with Carwin, and it was “one of the toughest decisions” in his life.

He went to a local doctor and got diagnosed with mononucleosis. He took his family to Canada and spend some time there to get healthy again. He went to western Manitoba and that’s where his health got even worse. In his book, Lesnar said that one night he woke up in the middle of the night and experienced the worst pain ever. His brother quickly took him to a hospital in Brandon, where he was given morphine right away. But the hospital didn’t have a working CT machine and told him it’d be fixed the following morning. The morphine was giving Lesnar migraines and the CT machine didn’t get fixed even after eight hours. Lesnar said, “I put my faith in the doctors at that hospital. I shouldn't have. It almost cost me my career. It almost cost me my life.”

Brock Lesnar Avoided Surgery And Saved His UFC Career

Lesnar decided to check out of there and go to Bismarck, North Dakota. The doctors there diagnosed him with diverticulitis and told him that there was a hole in his stomach. But they knew Lesnar was a UFC fighter and surgery would end his career. So they gave him eight hours and if their medication worked, they’d give him more time to recover and avoid immediate surgery.

RELATED: Why Brock Lesnar Left The UFC & Returned To WWE In 2012, Explained

Lesnar had a 104.3-degree fever for the next few hours, and his doctors started to discuss surgery. Luckily, his fever broke and he didn’t have to go under the knife. He was later sent to Mayo Clinic, with Dana White’s help, and they told him he should get surgery to recover completely, but they could do that later. Lesnar started working on himself again. He started going to the gym, and change his lifestyle completely. A few months later, he recovered and the doctors were very surprised to see that. Lesnar later talked about Canada’s health care and said, "They couldn't do nothing for me. It was like I was in a third-world country. ... I'm just stating the facts here, and that's the facts. If I had to choose between getting care in Canada or in the United States, I definitely want to be in the United States."

In 2013, he said that his experience with Canada's healthcare doesn’t “deter me from becoming a Canadian citizen” and this could’ve happened anywhere. Later Lesnar became a Canadian citizen and also represented the country during his fight against Mark Hunt at UFC 200. When The Beast was asked about the reason for it, he said: "Quite simply. I live there, that's how simple it is.”

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7tbTErKeoqqSowaa%2BjZympmenrLJurtGomqRlnJrAr63RZpmem5Gism6vwKeYnaGRo3qktdOisZ6mXw%3D%3D